6.11.06

If this life is a journey, can I take a detour?

Journey; the act of traveling from one place to another.
It seems like all you hear is, "Life is a Journey, not a Destination." A random travelling from one place to another? Or do the events of your life form a child's dot-to-dot... leaving us at the end going... "Oh right, I see. If I only knew then that this was what I was drawing." Only you can see the dots ahead of time, you can picture the lines in your head outlining the very thing you're drawing. So some would take that to be what... prophecy? And if there is none in your life giving you any hint of tomorrow... and you see nothing... but only know there are more dots to be travelled too... ?
If life is a mere journey, why so much focus on 'purpose'? Remember the book; "Purpose Driven Life" that sold millions of copies? Why do you think that was? Ummm.. cause everyone is trying to find their purpose, their reason for exisiting, something to cling onto that says 'this is who you are and what you were created to be/do'.
Hmm.. who we are? Right, I remember the Christian Cliche classics of 'this is who you are in Christ', and you know what, sure I still believe them... kinda have to since it's God's word. Yet, why is it that even in those who attempt to follow His word and take it to heart, you still find so many searching for their purpose? Why is it everytime I look around I see countless individuals with amazing giftings and abilities, and I look at myself and go.. "uhh..was I skipped?"
Did I see myself too big? Did I see myself too small? Were my expectations for this life too much? Or were there not enough?
And now what? What now when all your dreams and desires have crashed themselves into a bottomless pit? Do you go searching for them again? Or do you make another attempt to start over? What if everything you believed you wanted...you now questioned? What if everything you saw yourself as and doing no longer existed? I guess you'd have to admit you were lost... lost along a journey that you're not really even sure where it's going, what's along the road, and even if you want to continue to see what else there is further along.
And what if this journey, is just a random walking in circles? Seeing the same things over and over again, doing the same things over and over again. Regardless of place, locale, or surrounding inviduals. Circumstances continuing to remain the same, regardless of what is said to be the growth developed result... how much more growing can a person do looking at the same picture? Or is it that we just haven't stop to 'get it'. Instead we bang our heads agains the same wall over and over again...
...I dunno...
...?...

2 comments:

doxasky said...

A journey has a purpose, otherwise it is just an adventure. Why did so many people respond to "Purpose Driven Life"? Because we realize there is something more to life than working, sleeping, eating, and breathing. There is that longing within all of us for something more because no matter how much we've "got it", there will always be more to get.

I have often wondered why God did not give me any of the obvious giftings and abilities, but a few years ago I realized that what He did give me was a love to give to others that is different from the love they have known. When I realized this, I was like, "Love...hm...okay...now what do I do with that?" I learned (and am still learning) that the love I offer to people is a different kind of love. Sometimes I forget that, or lose sight of it, but every once in a while someone will comment on there being something different (in a good way) about me, and I am reminded of my purpose once again.

What I am getting at is that you were not skipped over. You have something to offer people. Perhaps it is so natural for you to do (be) it, that you do not recognize it as a gift.

It is hard when you have dreams that you cannot pursue immediately; when there are so many things that you have to prepare before it seems like you can even begin to bring them into being. It is discouraging when you try to pursue your dreams, only to have them seem to fall apart before your eyes.

One thing that encourages me in this is that Jesus' ministry didn't really sem to get going until He was about 30. This is Jesus, who is completely obedient to God the Father. Yes, He did ministry while He was growing up, but part of His reason for coming to earth (death and resurrection) did not happen until He had gone through much preparation in His life.

Let Him love you. Let Him show you.

And a note of encouragement: When we are struck down, it is because Satan knows we are doing something powerful for God and he wants to stop us, but we need to hold to our faith in God and fight for what we know is true and right and just.

rachel elizabeth said...

blog more
:)